Keeping In Touch: Elizabeth's BlogSpot

Friday, April 28, 2006

A Follow-Up To Yesterday's Post

Today I took the time to stop and spend some quiet time with God. It wasn't planned through any noble discipline on my part, but was a wonderful detour to my day! Through the wonder of the podcast, I was able to listen to three women share their testimonies of how God saw them through struggles in their lives. It gave me a chance to remember all the hard times that God has seen me through. You wouldn't think that I'd forget those dramatic things that God has done for me, but in the busyness of life, they do get pushed to the back of my mind and heart sometimes. Why is is so easy to forget? Why is it so easy to get caught up in the negatives of life and become cynical? Guess that's Satan's tool. He counts on it!

It was good to be reminded today that God is with me through the good and the bad. It was good to remember what God has done for me through Jesus and all the kindness and mercy He's shown me in this life. It was good to be reminded that I need to show that same kindness and mercy to those around me. And it was good to remember that my God, the creator of the universe, who could dwell anywhere that He wants, has chosen to dwell in me and in all those who believe in Him and seek Him. I'm so thankful! I just couldn't keep it inside, which is why I chose to post it here.

Yes, there are a million other things that I could have spent the last hour doing or could be doing right now. But I'm glad that God led me to listen to that podcast this morning (because I believe He did.) Usually I listen to sermons of well known speakers or preachers that I know, but for some reason, today I chose to listen to these women whom I'd never heard of before! I needed to hear their stories. My soul needed that refreshing and my mind needed that reminder of HIs grace and mercy and all He has done for me. I needed that reminder to cast my cares on Him because He is faithful, even when I am not. I can truly say along with King Hezekiah, "Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You have restored my health and have allowed me to live! Only the living can praise you as I do today. Each generation can make known your faithfulness to the next. Think of it—the LORD has healed me! I will sing his praises with instruments every day of my life in the Temple of the LORD." (Isaiah 38:16, 19-20 NLT)

Now back to the mundane tasks of my day like laundry, dirty dishes and vacuuming, but with renewed purpose and renewed thankfulness in my heart! Praise God!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Shawn White said…

    Good stuff Elizabeth. I'm not sure if it's Satan's tool or just part of human nature to forget the good things that God has done for us. It makes me remember something that God would have the Israelites do whenever He something significant for them. They were instructed several times during their history to erect Standing Stones so that when people saw them and asked about them, the peope could relay what God had done for them at that place. It was a way to help the people not forget what God had done, which would imply that God knows we are forgetful creatures. It's good that God never forgets, because he always remembers who are his children.

    It also reminds me of what Peter wrote in 1 Peter 2:5 - the we are living stones - our lives should reflect what God has done and when people see it and ask us about it, we should be able to tell them about the glorious things he has done for and through us.

    Shawn

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    Very eloquently said, Shawn. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and then share your thoughts with me. It is a great encouragement to me. I really enjoy these online conversations.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home