Keeping In Touch: Elizabeth's BlogSpot

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Unwritten

There's a song that's popular right now that I really like. Not only do I like the melody, but I really like the lyrics (which is a rare thing these days!). It's one of a few pop songs that doesn't make me flinch when I know my girls are singing along. The song is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. Below I've boiled down the lyrics to the basics (they're just repeated over and over again):

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


I don't know what the author of these lyrics had in mind, but I take many spiritual connotations/life applications from them.

First, I like the message that no one can read my mind or define me or live my life for me. Only God and I can completely know my mind and heart (and God knows it better than I do!).

Second, I love the idea that every day when I wake up, I have a "blank page before me". It's up to me what I put there. "The pen's in my hand." No one else can do it for me.

"Sometimes my tries, are outside the lines. We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way" Isn't that the truth? No matter how hard I try to "do it right", I always fall short. That's why I'm thankful for Jesus who gives me that new beginning every day and whose grace and mercy covers my shortcomings. That's good news!!!!!

As far as the "something in the distance", aren't we all reaching for something? Success, happiness, relationships, even God.

A life application that I take from this song is to enjoy life! "Release your inhibitions". "Feel the rain on your skin". This brings to mind a picture of just running out in the rain to enjoy it! Not worrying that you're going to get wet or what someone else will think of you. I sometimes have a problem with this. I'm very much a "rule follower" but there are times when I just want to let go and jump up and down for joy, or shout "Praise God", and I don't. I always admire people who do! And I want to work on doing it more. God gave us this life to live more abundantly and I want to "live my life with arms wide open"! I want that joy to be contagious and uplifting to those around me.

Lastly, I love the reminder that "today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten". We only have today. None of us know what's going to happen tomorrow.

I think all of these are very good messages. I want to live by them and it's a message I want to pass on to my girls. Remember....today is where your book begins! Rejoice in the knowledge that through Jesus we have a blank page to fill every day! Have a great day and fill the page with good things and good memories!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Neena said…

    That was a great blog. I really enjoyed your thoughts. I agreed with all you said. I know our husband don't like when we just agree with their blogs, but I really do agree with yours. You said it all.

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    Thanks, Neena. I appreciate your comments and I like having people agree with me. : )

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Stephen said…

    This is a good song....

    It makes me think of being original and genuine, but mostly accountable.

    The line "Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find" has some interesting spiritual connotations. Makes me think of when you do not have the words to pray and the God's Spirit intervenes for you....

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Ross said…

    your mind is SO right!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    Stephen: I thought that too, but couldn't think how to put it into words. Of course, you did it very eloquently!

    Ross: Thank you very much. I consider that a huge compliment! : )

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    Ashley: Thanks for reading your ol' mom's blog! I love hearing your thoughts! You should update your blog soon. Love you!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home