Keeping In Touch: Elizabeth's BlogSpot

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Bocelli on American Idol!

I'm so excited because Andrea Bocelli is going to be the guest star on American Idol this week. If you haven't heard of him, he's an Italian opera singer (who happens to be blind) that's had some success as a crossover artist into popular music. He also has a voice that I imagine is what angels sound like when they sing. It's absolutely incredible!!! I can't wait to see how he works with those kids on AI and I especially can't wait to hear him sing! I guess it's a little weird having an opera singer on American Idol, but I'm glad he's going to get the kind of exposure to our pop culture that AI will give him.

Now let me say that I'm not a huge fan of opera. It's ok. My dad always liked Mario Lanza, but I could never get that excited about him. In hindsight, I appreciate him a little more but still think Andrea Bocelli is way better!

Here's how I discovered Andrea. Several years ago, an animated movie called "Quest for Camelot" came out. Since I'm a big fan of the King Arthur legend, I rented it to watch with my girls. There was a song on the soundtrack called "The Prayer" that I just couldn't get out of my head. So, I bought the soundtrack and found there were two versions of the song. One by Celine Dion and one by someone named Andrea Bocelli. I was blown away! They also sing the song as a duet and it is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. It literally brings me to tears almost every time I hear it. If you ever want to listen to it, just let me know. I'd be glad to play it for you. It's one of my favorite songs EVER!!!!

Since then, I've bought a couple on Andrea's CD's. The songs are mostly in Italian so I don't listen to them too much, because I usually like to sing along to the music I listen to. (Well, my maiden name is Genaro. Maybe it should inspire me to learn Italian. Hmmm.....that's another post!) But every once in awhile, when I need to unwind, I just love to hear that voice!! What a blessing to be able to open your mouth and have that beautiful sound come out of it!!

Well, I know this is kind of a random post! But if you catch Andrea on American Idol this week, let me know what you think.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Stephen said…

    Since Andrea Bocelli is blind, some might believe he is cursed somehow. I don't believe it...however, if this is true, he was doubly blessed with the voice that is beautiful.

    He is awesome to listen to.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Shawn White said…

    Andrea has an amazing voice and I, on the other hand, am an opera fan. Hands down my absolute favorite singer is Cecilia Bartoli. She's got a voice that just kills me. Her singing makes me cry it's so good - so I know what you are talking about there.

    Back on topic - Davina and I are pretty jazzed about watching AK (as I like to call it) this week - Bocelli should be magnificant on it. I was incredibly surprised out how well they did this past week with the Great American Songbook - I love those old standards - that's some great, great pop music right there. And while I'm not a fan of Rod Stewart at all, when he sang on the results show I was amazed at how good it sounded.

    Shawn

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    Shawn: How cool that you know about Andrea! I haven't heard Cecilia Bartoli. I'll have to check her out. I used to not like opera at all when I was younger, but have come to appreciate it as I've grown up! ; )

    Ok, I'm a dork, but what does AK stand for?

    I love the old standards too, and was pleasantly surprised at the performances last week. My dad has a huge collection of 45's from the 50's which I've made him promise to will to me! (Not that I'm wanting him to go anytime soon, God forbid!)

    I'm not a Rod Stewart fan either and I missed his performance Wednesday, but I know those are some great songs!

    I loved Taylor Hicks singing Sam Cooke. That was my favorite! I'm rooting for him to win at this point, but don't know if he'll pull it off. Who are you rooting for?

    Stephen: I think Andrea is doubly blessed too!

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger MDM said…

    I am ready for Idol, too!! Rachel and me count down until it come on every week! I LOVED last week. I have to say that the results surprised me. I think their was some rigging going on. I just don't believe that Chris was at the bottom of the barrel. Thanks for replying to my name question! I think Ashley and Chelsea are darling names. You guys are a great role model to us with the two girl thing going on!!

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Elizabeth C. said…

    MDM: I think having two girls is just the best! Don't you? : )

    I was surprised by the results too! But I've been surprised several times this season. Couldn't believe it when Mandisa got voted off! Chris in the bottom 3 made no sense at all to me. Can't wait to see what happens this week!

    Thanks for checking out my blog and thanks for your kind words. We think so much of your family and look forward to getting to know you better as time goes on.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Shawn White said…

    AK = American Karaoke :)

    Taylor has been one of my favorites since auditions - I thought he had tremendous stage presence and a great voice. However, I honestly didn't think he would make it as far as he has, not because he isn't talented, but because I didn't think the general listening audience would appreciate him. I don't think I can pick my favorite - it's between Chris and Taylor. My top four, in no particular order, are Katherine, Taylor, Chris, and Elliot.

    Shawn

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ross said…

    geez, you wern't kidding.... I just downloaded the song off I tunes and yea it did bring tears to my eyes.... beautiful

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Although I don't watch American Idol because I get mad at the judges (the only one I like is Simon, that's another post!), I do love opera and Andrea. When I was in college, I got a sampler CD of a bunch of pop songs that were like b-sides in the olden days. Anyway, there was a song by Placido Domingo called Valencia and I was hooked! I love Placido, he has a richness to his voice that is unlike any other singer, opera or otherwise. I might watch Idol this week, but probably not. I usually only start watching when there are three or four left, the cream of the crop!

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Shawn White said…

    The more I talk to you people, the more scared I get to find what we don't and do have in common. I admit, I like Simon as well - he tells it straight, no punches, no flowers, no "I love you and America loves you, too" sappy comments. :)

    Shawn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home