Keeping In Touch: Elizabeth's BlogSpot

Friday, April 13, 2007

Thought for the Day...

I have a little plaque hanging over my phone (and I should probably put one over the computer too) that says: " O Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff and nudge me when I've said enough."

I like it because it reminds me that the Bible says, "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." (Proverbs 10:19 NIV) Or as the New Living Translation puts it "Don't talk too much, for it fosters sin. Be sensible and turn off the flow!" Isn't that great? Sadly it's advice that I've failed to follow at times and I just hate the taste of crow! ; )

Our words are powerful things! They can hurt. (The Don Imus fiasco this week is one example that comes to mind!) I've been hurt by words at times. And too many times I've lost sleep at night worrying about things I've said and how they came off to the people who heard them. On the other hand, I have also experienced words from others that were insightful, enlightening, encouraging or even healing. And hope I've used words in this way as well.

Matthew 12:34 NIV says, "...for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." And Matthew 12: 36-37 also tells us that we'll have to give account for every careless word we've spoken! The Message puts it this way,

"Let me tell you something: Every one of these careless words is going to come back to haunt you. There will be a time of Reckoning. Words are powerful; take them seriously. Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation."


Wow! That makes you stop and think, doesn't it? I truly want to be a person whose "mouth is filled with worthwhile stuff", so the words on my little plaque are a very appropriate prayer reminder for me!

Just thought I'd share this thought with my few (but precious!) blog friends. Do you have any prayer reminders around your house?

Have a great weekend!

6 Comments:

  • At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good post. I especially like the location of the plague.

    Too often we may measure our words "spoken" but not those words written (e.g., e-mail, blogs, etc.).

    This is especially critical in public forums.

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Josh said…

    That was a great post, Elizabeth. Thanks for that all too important reminder.

    I have a mantra/prayer that I say...try to remember/say, when I get into tough situations, especially dealing with critical people. It is, "Lord teach me to care, and not to care." It was given to me by a mentor of mine and has come in handy on too many occasions.

    Thanks again!

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Stephen said…

    Good comments and remnders.

    I have found that whether by mouth or by mouse it is impossible to retrieve what you have released.

    So we should all be careful.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Shawn White said…

    I don't know if I have a particular verse, quote or saying that I have around, but I do have a particular song. For some reason, when I was in my teens I latched on to the song Abide With Me. I must have sung that song to myself hundreds of times during my time in Basic Training with the Army and then hundreds more while I served. Anytime anything stressful creeps up that song still instantly pops into my head. It is a nice comfort. :)

    Shawn

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger D.L. White said…

    When I used to have a job, I had several little sayings posted on my computer monitor, that I would look at throughout the day to keep me going. And because I'm a worry-wart, several were in regards to that. My favorite one reads, "If a problem isn't worth praying about, it's not worth worrying about." Phil4:6-7

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Josh said…

    I need a new thought!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home